Civil-Military Coordination Course
The course is given in English and holds up to 40 students per group. The purpose of the course is to prepare the military personnel, who will perform tasks related to Civil-Military Coordination in the Brazilian Contingent of the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH, acronym in French), officers from friendly nations, who will take part in peace missions and members of partner civilian institutions.
The aims of the course are:
• Transmitting basic knowledge about the structure of the United Nations and the functioning of the Peace Operations;
• Disseminating knowledge on CIMIC, its principles and fundamental tasks;
• Explaining the differences between the doctrines of Civil-Military Coordination in use around the world;
• Explaining the CIMIC planning process and the information sharing mechanisms;
• Raising awareness on the value of CIMIC's projects;
• Explaining and applying the procedures of Civil-Military Relationship; and
• Analyzing the approaches of Civil-Military Coordination in different environments, as UN Peace Missions, complex emergencies and natural disasters in unsafe environments.
Moreover, the students get in touch with military and civilian personnel who have had experience with the Civil-Military Coordination. They impart lessons learned and share their experiences. The students also take part in case study groups, analyzing situations that previous contingents have faced, including routine activities and extraordinary situations, such as support to humanitarian assistance, protection of civilians, among others.
Translation: LT Eduarda Coelho